In some given circumstances though not many, you may want to delete or remove an app from the google play store. Google play store supports this action since an app may become absolute or the purpose the application was serving does not exist anymore or you may have an updated app that you do not want to be associate with the old application due to a change of the brand.
The process of removing an application from the play store is not complicated as compared to the one of publishing the app to the play store. The process of creating an account in the play store is present in this article and that of publishing your app is highlighted in this link, you can follow the above two articles if you have an issue while releasing your application.
To unpublish an app from the google play store, follow the steps highlighted below
- Login to your google play console account link https://play.google.com/console/u/0/developers
- Choose your developer account, even if you have one you will be provided with the option to select it
- You will now be redirected to the dashboard with the list of apps present in that account you have chosen
- Click on the app you want to unpublish from the list of apps
A screen with the app details will be opened
- Next, in the left sidebar, expand the setup dropdown and it will provide you with three options.
- Click Advanced settings
A screen with advanced settings will be opened where in the first tab there will be an option for app availability
- At this step, you will notice there is an option for published and unpublished
- To unpublish the app, you will need to select the unpublished radio button whereby new users will not find and install your app while the existing users will still see it and receive updates.
- Once you select the unpublished option, the buttons at the bottom right will become active which are, discard changes and save changes.
- Click the save changes button
- A confirmation dialog will popup requesting you to accept the decision
- Finally, you will wait for a response from the play store regarding the status of your application.
- Once done and you load the screen for all apps, you will notice that the app you have just unpublished will have a status message of removed by you
The above few steps have shown how to unpublish an app from the play store which will enable existing users to continue using the app while it will not be visible to any other user who has not installed it. Please note that the method does not involve deleting the app from the play store since you can reverse this process.